Advertise with us
Bzzt… bzzt… this is your pilot speaking.
If you’ve got the word “wanderlust” plastered somewhere on your social media profile, today is your day. Get ready to join us on an epic journey round the world – without even having to step out of Indonesia!
Don’t believe us? Fasten your seatbelts and hang on tight as we take off for the 20 places in Indonesia that totally look like they’re in another country.
In 3, 2, 1…
1. Hello United States! We’ve arrived at one of the most beautiful rock formations in the world, Antelope Canyon.
USA, Antelope Canyon
Check out Bangkalan’s Wisata Bukit Pelalangan, which is only second to its sister in the US!
Indonesia, Bangkalan, Wisata Bukit Pelalangan
China, Zhangjiajie National Forest Park
Photo via galikhanovaa
But wait.. isn’t this in Lampung as well? Pantai Pegadungan is another inspiration for budding movie directors out there!
Indonesia, Lampung, Pantai Pegadungan
3. Here, you’ll see Croatia’s beautiful Plitvice Lakes, known for their colour-changing waters
Croatia, Plitvice Lakes
Photo via exploringkiwis
Beautiful, multi-coloured lakes nestled in mountainous greenery? You’ve got to be talking about Dieng Plateau’s Telaga Warna!
Indonesia, Dieng Plateau, Telaga Warna
Photo via nozapristandia
4. Feast your eyes on these natural terraced hot springs in Pamukkale, Turkey.
Photo via pagevibe
Indonesia, Belitung Islands, Danau Kaolin
Photo via ashadinatha
5. The Carnival in Rio De Janeiro may be the biggest carnival in the world…
Brazil, Rio De Janeiro Carnival
Photo via osambista, Emmanuel Aguirre
But just know that those crazy costumes (perhaps even crazier) can also be seen at Surakarta’s Solo Batik Carnival.
Indonesia, Surakarta, Solo Batik Carnival
Photo via gustiantography, fajri egha, fathurrahmanalwan
6. In Kenya, the golden savannahs of Masai Mara Game Reserve stretch on for miles.
East Africa, Kenya, Masai Mara Game Reserve
Photo via henry lin jingang, stephiromay, Laura Bertola
Surely savannahs can’t be found in Indonesia? Tell that to Baluran National Park, and let them prove you very, very wrong.
Indonesia, East Java, Baluran National Park
Photo via chriss1304, angga jap, fahmiluthfillah
7. Prepare for a rocky ride as we head towards Giant’s Causeway, a magnificent cluster of rock formations in Northern Ireland.
Northern Ireland, Giant’s Causeway
Photo via bertrandlanneau
You won’t believe it, but Semeti Beach in Lombok features great rock formations and some really cool waves as well!
Indonesia, Lombok, Semeti Beach
Photo via ClimaMgta
8. Do you love clear blue skies and even clearer waters? Let’s head to Bora Bora Island, Tahiti, for the perfect island escape.
Tahiti, Bora Bora Island
Photo martinamitovska, wanna fork
Or Pulo Cinta in North Sulawesi, for somewhere closer to home with stunning Tahitian vibes!
Indonesia, North Sulawesi, Gorontalo
Photo via agrippinaelizabeth, ichan.ikhsan
9. Do you spy those gorgeous bridges, grown out of living tree roots in Cherrapunji, India?
Photo by formallygormally
Guess what – Jembatan Akar (West Sumatra) is Indonesia’s answer to this natural wonder.
Indonesia, Jembatan Akar
Photo via elicardyvnt
10. Here at Lugu Lake, China, you’ll be awed by its sweeping mountain views.
China, Lugu Lake
Photo via TripCanvas
But that scenery looks a bit familiar… Lake Toba, is that you?
Indonesia, Lake Toba
Photo via sheing.coe
11. Further north in Mongolia, traditional yurts stand tall and free in the Xilamuren Prairie.
Mongolia, Xilamuren Prairie
Photo via vickydemon
… but why go that far when you can get the same grassy beauty at Highland Park Resort, Bogor?
Indonesia, Bogor, Highland Park Resort
Photo via sherlymey, atriathya
12. Glistening pink sand and unbelievably clear waters abound at Balos Beach-Lagoon of Crete, Greece.
Greece, Balos Beach-Lagoon of Crete
Photo xee rst
But how could any beach be any gloriously pinker than Lombok’s very own Tangsi Beach? Pinkie Pie would be proud.
Indonesia, Lombok, Tangsi Beach
13. Oui, those spots of purple on Mont-Ventoux, France, come from the gorgeous lavender fields.
Photo via dianasuu
And this sea of purple at Oro-Oro Ombo, Mount Semeru, is home to the Brazilian verbena. Different flowers, but same glorious beauty.
Indonesia, Mount Semeru, Oro-oro Ombo
Photo via arditafanisa
14. It’s time to layer up in icy Iceland, where Viti Crater greets you with deep blue waters and colourful mountains.
Iceland, Viti Crater
Photo via akieywanderlusting
And far across the world, Kelimutu Crater Lake wows with the exact same scenery.
Indonesia, Kelimutu Crater Lake
Photo via iramrizkyn
15. Here in Bermuda, the Crystal Cave houses unbelievable stalagmite formations next to clear blue waters…
Bermuda, Crystal Cave
Photo via caketinalacarte, scoutfashion
…Which are two times better at Flores’ Rangko Cave, because you can swim in it!
Indonesia, Flores, Rangko Cave
Photo via tinaedenae, fajri harahap
16. Stevens Gap, Alabama, offers you the once-in-a-lifetime chance to pretend to be an angel descending from heaven.
USA, Alabama, Stevens Gap
Photo via leahkparker, fixitfelixjr
Except Jomblang Cave in Yogyakarta has the exact same view – do they go to the same lighting store?
Indonesia, Yogyakarta, Jomblang Cave
Photo via Zexsen Xie
17. In Arizona, Havasu Canyon’s sandstone cliffs border a scenic turquoise lake, creating a truly majestic view.
USA, Arizona, Havasu Canyon
Photo via travel adventures xo
And this description can almost be copied and pasted for West Java’s Green Canyon – except that here, you can also do body rafting on that turquoise stretch of water!
Indonesia, West Java, Green Canyon
Photo via youkeepustraveling
18. Immerse yourself in rich history and culture at Cambodia’s Angkor Wat, an ancient temple from the Khmer Kingdom.
Cambodia’s Angkor Wat
Photo via wikimedia.org
But wait, Wat? Say hello to Angkor Wat’s temple twin, the 47-metre tall Prambanan Temple in Yogyakarta!
Indonesia, Yogyakarta, Prambanan Temple
Photo via courtneysolinger
19. Open your eyes and watch as the impeccable scenery of the Koh Phi Phi Islands, Thailand, hits you.
Thailand, Koh Phi Phi Islands
Photo by martadelvallepascual
You might just find that you’re not really in Thailand; the Raja Ampat Islands in Papua are just as beautiful!
Indonesia, Papua, Raja Ampat Islands
Photo via th38rother
20. Across the South Pacific, Hobbits once lived on the Hobbiton Movie Set in New Zealand…
New Zealand, Hobbiton Movie Set
Photo via markjnewtonart
But apparently, some of them have emigrated to Bandung, and are now living in The Farmhouse.
Indonesia, Bandung, The Farmhouse
Photo via nurulroch, iswarakirty, riniutaami
21. It’s steaming hot at Inferno Crater Lake in New Zealand, an au naturale volcano hot spring hidden amongst scenic greenery.
New Zealand, Inferno Crater Lake
Photo via chloeskafte
But when it comes to cloudy beauty, Kawah Putih takes the cake as the prettiest (and coolest) crater in Bandung.
Indonesia, Bandung, Kawah Putih
Photo via Rinai Hujan
Bzzt… bzzt… this is your pilot speaking.
We’ve come to the end of our grand world tour. Who would have known that all these world famous sights could be enjoyed right within Indonesia itself?!
Just grab your bags and get going. It won’t be long before you can say you’ve really travelled the “world”. 😉
Are there any other beautiful places in Indonesia that you think look like other countries? Let us know in the comments below! Or you could stop commenting and GET OUT THERE, wonderful Indonesia is waiting for you (half kidding we love your comments)!
Advertise with us