Written by Beverley Lennon
Co-written by Abigail Chang, Kim Wilson, Jiayi Ng, Val Caulin and Soma Dutta
It’s that time of the year again – yes, for your family holiday!
We know, planning a holiday with the kids can sometimes be more of a headache than a joyful retreat – it can be a stressful process that usually requires lots of research before you find exciting things to do, especially for the little ones.
But guess what, Bali offers plenty of kid-friendly activities that everyone can have fun with. And we have done all the research for you!
Check out this one-stop family guide, where we show you the best family-friendly places you can stay at, play and dine! Everyone, from parents to teenagers to toddlers, will have lots of fun – guaranteed!
P.S. We’ve also included some tips and tricks to ensure you are fully Bali-ready!
Best family-friendly areas in Bali
Known as the classic hippest areas in Bali, Kuta and Seminyak are where you can find the most colourful and bustling streets with hipster cafes, family-friendly restaurants, bars, massages and more! Come here for all the excitement, your kids would love it!
4 Most family-friendly resorts in Kuta & Seminyak
1. Let’s rock this holiday with unlimited fun!: Hard Rock Hotel Bali
Choosing the right accommodation for your family vacation can be tricky, but you can play it safe and go for Hard Rock Hotel Bali for a guaranteed delightful experience!
Not a day goes by where there’s nothing to do at the resort – it is never quiet (unless you decide to stay in your room or get pampered at the spa)! Your kids will have a whole day of fun in the indoor and outdoor playing areas, which are well-equipped with everything you could ever imagine, and crazy fun activities like rock climbing, foam parties and much more!
Both you and the kids can also maintain your zestful active days with plenty of daily activity programmes by the poolside! You will need limitless amount of energy to keep up with their unparalleled creativity and quality service!
Don’t miss out on testing your vocal skills at the Boom Box Recording Studio while the kids enjoy a rocking time at Roxity Kids Club, Tabu Teens Club and their daily Mini Olympic Games in the main pool!
Even after a rocky fun day spent separately, you can still join together as a family to enjoy a casual stroll by the beach just in front of the resort while waiting for the glorious sun to set in beautiful Bali!
At night, enjoy some comfy time with the kids in your room; the expansive family rooms here are decked out with pop art decor, contemporary design and you can surely expect crisp-sheeted beds for the best of sleeps!
Both the Family Suite and Luxury Kids Suite allow you to enjoy smooches and hugs with the tots in the morning – so happy bonding!
2. Holiday Inn Resort Baruna Bali: Cultural fun for the family (Check rate on Agoda | More info)
3. The Breezes Resort & Spa: Beach, shopping, cafes and massages at your doorstep (Check rate on Agoda)
4. Max One Hotels @ Seminyak: Rooms fit for a family of 5! (Check rate on Agoda | More info)
3. Febri’s Spa at Febri’s Hotel and Spa: Prince and Princess pampering sessions (Website)
5. Armada Flowhouse Bali: Catch a wave at the pool (Website)
5. Gourmet Cafe: Indulge in delicious food and an outdoor playground (Website)
A laidback beachside retreat: Sanur
If you are looking for a quiet space to spend with your family, away from the hustle and bustle of town, we recommend Sanur as your best bet. Here’s where you can find calm, child-friendly seas and beaches and even kite-flying festivals!
1. Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali: Every child’s dream home (Check rate on Agoda)
2. Mercure Resort Sanur: Family immersion in traditional Balinese culture (Check rate on Agoda | More info)
3. Prime Plaza Suites Sanur: A summer camp within a hotel (Check rate on Agoda | More info)
4. Prama Sanur Beach Bali: Resort with integrated surf school (Check rate on Agoda | More info)
2. Peek A Boo Fun: Indoor fun for when it’s raining (Website)
4. Sanur Village Festival (Every August): Celebrate arts and culture at a local carnival (Website)
1. Big Garden Corner: Kids eyes will glow with rainbow colours (More info)
3. Kanda Restaurant: Lunch within a mini bird park (Website)
4. Warung Nelayan Sanur: Eat while the kids play on the beach (Coordinates | More pictures)
Best for shallow and azure waters: Nusa Dua
Love watersports? Or have kids who do? Nusa Dua would be your ideal family holiday spot. The waters here are shallow and great for kids, and here’s also where you can find many beachfront family-friendly resorts with lots of activities you and your little ones can take part in. You don’t even need to leave your resort and you won’t ever be bored!
2. The Westin Resort, Nusa Dua: Slide to some luxury experiences (Check rate on Agoda | More info)
3. Novotel Nusa Dua: A vacation packed with fun family activities (Check rate on Agoda | More info)
4. Hilton Bali Resort: A trip to Egypt atop a camel (Check rate on Agoda | More info)
2. Abandoned Airplane Nusa Dua: Every little boy’s dream (More info)
4. Flyboarding by Bali Apollo Dive and Water Sport: Get projected high up from sea to sky (Website | More info)
5. Geger Beach: Enjoy splashy time in azure shallow waters (More info)
2. Sateria Beachside Restaurant: Kids’ dining heaven (Website)
Getting Around (Car rental recommendations)
Since you are on a family trip with kids, it’s definitely much more convenient to either stick to the ever-reliable Bluebird taxis, Grab and Go-Jek or simply opt for reliable car rental options with driver and/or guide or without, if you are familiar with driving in Indonesia!
1. Our recommendation: Renting a family car with private driver2. For the pros: Renting a family car without driver
Must-know tips on travelling with the family in Bali
Want to make the most of your family holidays? We personally wish to share some tips with you (curated based on our experiences in Bali!):
Make your vacation more enjoyable:
Rent strollers/carriers/car seats/kids life jacket from Bali Bubs.
Rent a pool fence for safety (if staying at a private villa)
Hire nannies/babysitters from Bali’s Best Babysitting and Nanny Service.
Load your tablets with movies/audio books for when you are on the road
Consider only reliable money exchangers like BMC
Tap water is not safe to drink, don’t risk it especially with the kids. We recommend you to buy bottled mineral water, such as the Aqua brand.